WORKSHOP ON PSTA4 INFORMATION AND DISSEMINATION
The meeting has been organized by INGABO Syndicate in collaboration with AGRITERRA/Rwanda (Netherland Farmers Organization) and took place on October 3rd, 2019 in CHRIS HOTEL located in Runda sector, Kamonyi District, Southern Province.
The participants were from different levels and institutions : farmers, INGABO Syndicate leaders, cooperatives representatives, AGRITERRA/Rwanda representatives, representative of Rwandan Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources (MINAGRI), representative of Rwanda Agriculture Board (RAB), representative of ICK (Institut Catholique de Kabgayi), District directors of agricultural and natural resources (DANRs), representatives of Agricultural processing unities like Kinazi Cassava Plant (KCP), maize and rice micro processing unities, representatives of inputs agro dealers, representatives of agricultural production collectors, representatives of Banks and Microfinance institutions, others various agricultural stakeholders and different public and private media companies.
In addition, to the Main point which was the Presentation on Strategic Plan for Transformation of Agriculture in Rwanda (PSTA4), other key points have been discussed. Those are fertilizers and Land Conservation and management.
After fruitful discussions, the participants agreed on the following recommendations:
- The participants were committed to put in practice and to contribute actively in PSTA4 dissemination to their respective fellows,
- INGABO Syndicate committed to keep collaboration with microfinance institutions and Banks to facilitate linkage through the available opportunities in agriculture development particularly for women and youth involved in agriculture sector (BDF, Smart NKUNGANIRE, IKOFI, MobGrow, …)
- To mobilize farmers and improve their knowledge on the use of fertilizers based on the land characteristics and crop irrigation through Small Scale Irrigation Technology SSIT (fertilizers, selected seeds, pesticides and agricultural materials),
- To organize awareness campaigns on climate change knowledge and contribute in some of strategies for mitigating the related effects (early planting, agroforestry, environment protection, respect of advices from meteorological institutions.
- Conduct joint research on the prevailing issues in agriculture.
- The participants agreed to work together in strengthening farmers’ cooperatives especially in leadership and management.
- To strengthen farmers capacities to become more competitive among other value chain actors and strengthen farmers networking both national, regional and international levels,
- Mobilize the private sector to be actively involved in seeds multiplication.